Saturday, January 27, 2007

Trusting you instincts

Over the years we have learned to trust our instincts-except for last night....

When I call you Dr. Resident to look at your patient that I say "I think she's a little sicker than you thought" it is because SHE IS! Don't tell me she'll be ok with a bp in the 60's and o2 sat in the mid 80's-just fucking do something or I will......So I gave her a liter bolus and put her on 100% o2-even though she "didn't need it" and miracle of all miracles her bp came up as did her oxygen. ms crumpet avoided the black shroud again....geesh...I should have went to lunch.

Example 2: A new and I mean NEW medic rushes through the door (yelling mind you) MA'AM I think HE's CRASHING! and i give the old goober the once over and think bullshit but go a head and stick him in resus anyway....Normal bp nsr on ekg o2 perfect on room air GCS 15! The medic said "I can't get a radial pulse" and of course I was a smart ass and said "did ya check his wrist-on the radial side?" geesh....and at that point-I moved goober to a regular room and WENT TO LUNCH!
*medic later said "im new and i panicked a little" I fought the urge to roll my eyes and say "yah think?" so as not to squash the newbie. I said "that's ok-he's fine and you did ok-don't worry about it" HOW UNCHARACTARISTIC OF ME! I was proud of myself....

Important lesson: TRUST your instincts!

No comments: