It was a rainy afternoon and not much to do but set on the porch swing and reflect. We were sitting silently for a while when mum stuck up the conversation...
My thoughts in italics
Mum: Do you see dead people?
Me: like in the movie?
Mum: No, I mean like when the ambulance men bring them in.
Me: yeah (now where the hell is this going)
Mum: Oh, I never knew you had to see them
Me: yeah, I do
Mum: Do you have to touch them?
Me: sometimes, you know when your giving CPR or something
Mum: oh, I never thought about that. Have you ever seen someone die?
Me: yeah, a few times (like over 13 years in the er, and last night saw 2 traumas catch the Jesus train)
Mum: How awful for you!
Me: it was worse for them. Mum, you know I work in the ER. What do you think I do?
Mum: You know, give shots and help the doctors.
Me: yeah, that's usually what I do
Now, for those of you who don't know mum-southern genteel lady who teaches primary school and has never ever thought of seeing someone dead.....
Sad part is-I think mum's assessment of what I do at work is shared by way to many people in the general public. So nurses are either handmaidens or whores to the doctors....gotta love it
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment