Some background: I have been a nurse for 13 years. I've mainly worked in emergency departments. Some big-some not so big. The "customers" are all the same. I thought being a nurse meant "helping people" HA! About 3 or 4 a month actually want/need your help (sorry to my ethics professor) the rest have another angle all together (drugs, attention from family, ect)
Why I continue to be a nurse: for those 3 or 4 a month that actually want/need help, mortgage, feeding my kids......
Now onto the trauma drama!
I love trauma. Always have. (hey, someone's gotta do it) I love the "emergent factor". Maybe that's why people like me stay. I like never knowing what's coming through the door. I like chaos and madness, and yes, sometimes the drama of it all.....
Most nights, it's all I can do to stay awake. Of course, there is the usual patients-excuse me administration "customers" between the interesting stuff....
- Yes sir, I know your mother wants a drink of water and I know I have explained why she can't have anything until her CT is done for the tenth time but right now I am trying to get this man's BP above 50/12 and that is more urgent! UGH!
- Yes ma'am, I know you've waited for an hour to be seen for these cold symptoms you've had for 6 days, but right now we are doing CPR on someone. No, I don't know how long it will take!
- It's called "being on your period" It happens every 28 days or so, yes, you will bleed and have cramps for a few days. No, you are not dying. Yes, it's normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment