For those of you in the business, you know it all too well. It's that
feeling that creeps up on you every year or so. The feeling when
you just can't go back even one more shift, where caffeine won't
even keep you going anymore. Even the appeal of a good "real" trauma
is just more paper work. Nurses are numbers, not wives, mothers,
PEOPLE with lives
outside of your schedule.
Yep, burned.
Therefore, I strive to give mediocre care. Yes, I said it.
You come in with chronic anything of any sort, and you'll get exactly that. Oh, I'll be professional, and even courteous.
- Will you be taken care of? Yes.
- Will I be competent in your care? Yes.
- Will I answer the call bell and change the bed pan. Yes
- Will I take every class offered again this year? Yes.
- Will I learn new things to help those who are truly ill/injured? Yes.
But at times like these, I lose touch with the "nursing" part of nursing. The things that
get me down are the things that get all nurses emergency down. (misuse of the system, addicts,
lawsuit happy, chronic complainers ect ect ect....)
Will it get better? No, but I will. In the mean time, mediocre.
It's the best I can do right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment